Saturday, December 4, 2010

Urban Arts and Crafts (no tea cozies here)

I ventured south to Denver this weekend to check out Holiday Handmade, a craft fair for the hipster crowd. While I was glad to see that the DIY movement is still alive and well in spite of any economic woes, I was even more impressed with the building the fair was held in.

The Sherman Events Center is a former Shriner Temple built in 1909 and, while it may not look like much from the street, it's remarkably well cared-for inside.

The woodworking detail is exquisite.


Just an elevator.


Those Shriners may drive funny, little cars, but they sure knew their Moorish Revival architecture, too. There's something comforting about all that wood and tile.

I came out with a raven print (now in the queue with all my other wall art that lacks a proper frame), some snacks and a few gifty things. Owls, birds and octopi seem to be the hot design themes this year, but when are they not? Best of all, right out the front door was one of the now-ubiquitous Denver food trucks. Nothing like a hot biscuit on a cool winter's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment