
While Colorado has its share of great restaurants, one thing it's lacking is a good, casual Moroccan place. If you're up for a five-course event, Mataam Fez is down in Denver and their apple b'stella can't be beat, but I long for the hole in the wall that is
Amanouz Cafe back east. A giant, hand-written menu, French night on Thursdays and quick service guarantee I'll stop in any time I'm in town. I always get the same thing, couscous with vegetables, and I always leave wondering what could possibly make up those incredible flavors. It looks like a pile of chunky vegetables in a watery sauce, but I could never pick out the ingredients and sometimes didn't even recognize the vegetables.
I'm pretty determined when I want something (see sock miracle below), and I just wanted to have this food at home. After much googling and trial and error, I think I found my
answers. I took great liberties with the recipe (ok, shortcuts) because I lack an authentic couscoussiere and the patience to cook dried beans or grate tomatoes in December, but I did make my own harissa and prepared some ras-el-hanout for future use.

Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to name what I was tasting. I can't say why, but, for me, this is heaven.
Couscous with vegetables, adapted from Gourmet magazine, courtesy of epicurious.com
(warning: this makes a small vat)
- can of chick peas
- can of fine dice tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground ras-el-hanout
- 3/4 pound carrots, peeled and halved crosswise, then halved lengthwise
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide wedges
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed, halved crosswise, then halved lengthwise
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 3/4 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon fiery harissa plus additional for serving
- couscous
(You can make your own ras-el-hanout ahead of time or buy it at a good spice shop. I had a ton of dried chilies from the garden, so the harissa was a great way to use some up.)
Put oil, tomato, onions, pepper, ginger, salt, tomato paste in a really big pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Add water and ras-el-hanout and bring broth to a simmer. Add carrots and turnips and simmer for ten minutes.
Add zucchini, cabbage, and butternut squash to broth and cook, covered, until vegetables are almost tender, then add chickpeas.
Some time in the middle of the simmering, make up at least three cups of cooked couscous. I'm sure you know how to make couscous.
Spoon vegetables over fluffed couscous. Drink sweetened mint tea afterwards and pretend you're in Marrakech.
No comments:
Post a Comment