The funfair! The last thing I expected to see in the middle of winter was a carnival, but one magically appears in the corner of Hyde Park for about a month each year. I'm sure the little ones rule the place by day, but come evening, it's the big kids' playground.
I'll take the slightly creepy talking tree over a trip to the mall any day and the parrot wasn't nearly as annoying as hearing "Silver Bells" piped in under the shrubbery at The Orchards in early November.
Even the carousels were spruced up for the season.
These people are serious about having fun.
And do not mess with Rudolph. He may be smiling, but he's got a lot of pent up rage from childhood. He and the Snow Queen get on well.
There were haunted houses ("Ride the Ghost Train of Christmas Past"), some challenging fun houses, and winter-themed Matterhorn rides, all of which must have been much more interesting after a ride on the carousel. This carousel. Which is a bar.
And nothing relieves the stress of the holidays more than getting down with UK cover bands belting out "Sweet Home Alabama" or maybe a disco classics.
Paris tried the carnival angle, too, with less success, but the market on the Champs Elysees was worth a walk through if you don't mind that it's got very little to do with Christmas.
Slightly animated fishes.
They go with the even more animated pandas, bison, and polar bears that litter the skating rink. There was one ride there that I remember from my own childhood, but I recall it being much larger. Or maybe I was just much smaller then.
There's plenty of silly stuff to buy at the market, from many matryoshka...
...to schokokusse (chocolate-covered somethings that I was too wary to try).
And sausage. I'm pretty sure they were selling sausage.
I'm not sure which target audience the waffle-sellers were aiming for. Scruffy polar bear fans? Demon tree worshipers? Patriotic ex-pats?
Regardless of what they're selling, I think outdoor markets are something we should look into. We've already got some fun craft markets that pop up in December, but I think the wooden booths, pine boughs, churros and cotton candy would have a broader appeal, especially if you include the all-important gluhwein.
On a cold evening, it lends to the festive atmosphere and keeps the fingers warm. I'm sure the optional bourbon shots don't hurt either. So let's give it some thought. Trade fighting your way through the mall parking lots for a week or more of get togethers at the market after work and throw in a tilt-a-whirl or two. I bet you'd like it.




















No comments:
Post a Comment