Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'm officially a pod person

I am definitely a late adopter of tech toys. I still have cassettes, CDs, vinyl and the means to play all three. I loathe cell phones and, until recently, found the idea of wearing headphones outside kind of offensive. A friend gifted me with a retired podlette when I said it might be nice to have for an upcoming flight, but I've hesitated to wear it while riding. After trying it out in the garden last night, I decided to give it a test run on my ride to work. My commute has been permanently altered, for the better.

These days work produces a lot of irritation and potential teeth-grinding, but as I arrived at my desk this morning, I still had a happy song in my head, so the morning was semi-tolerable (at least till the first meeting). After eight hours of banging my head against a metaphoric wall, I plugged back in, coasted down the hill, and felt some of the cringing cease. I now have an ever-changing soundtrack for my ride and can spend more time smelling the wild plum blossoms along the road instead of rehashing how much my day sucked. I will only listen from the right side and can't imagine ever wanting to take music on a mountain bike ride, but for now it keeps me from wanting to hurl heavy things at bad drivers on my way home, and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment