Monday, April 14, 2014

Not quite ready yet


I took my first longer walk of the season this weekend, hoping to catch the beginnings of spring at a higher altitude before a new blanket of snow covered them. The pasque flowers were out, right on time as usual, but almost everything else up there still seemed to be hesitating.


I passed the remains of one deer and one bird and moved a couple of these future things with wings off the trail and out of the path of mountain bike tires.


There were a few current things with wings out on the holly grape and two of them were engaged in mid-air combat as I passed by. This is the winner of that particular battle.


Last summer's remnants were still hanging in there and winter beige was still the dominant color, but things are slowly greening up.

Stick shaped like wingless goose, or wingless goose camouflaged as stick



It's pretty quiet out there right now, but day by day, spring is creeping in. Fortunately, it's inevitable.

Nobody home


My feet are still sore and I think I know what shin splints are now, but I'm determined to get my hiking muscles back. There's lots to see and it'll be here before I know it. Plus, I get to try things like this when I get home. It was definitely prettier before I pushed the puree button, but it still tasted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment