As a kid, I was pretty into Christmas. Each year looked something like this:
Now I find it kind of embarrassing how many presents were stacked up around me every year. I have no siblings and I never wanted for anything as a kid. There was always enough and then some.
Last year I skipped town to avoid any holiday madness and that turned out to be a very good plan, but this year I’m sticking close to home. I've discovered that keeping myself busy is key to keeping myself sane, so I checked around to see if anybody needed help with anything. I found more than enough needs and the answer to my coworkers' question.
I’m baking apple pies and dropping off welcome baskets for these folks and sorting and distributing toys with these guys. My shopping list last weekend included socks, underwear, slippers and shampoo for the teens and boardbooks for the little kids. Not piles of toys and gadgets, just the basics. And I'm raiding thrift stores for books for my friends' kids whose need for reading materials is outstripping their parents' wallets and spare shopping time.
I’m baking apple pies and dropping off welcome baskets for these folks and sorting and distributing toys with these guys. My shopping list last weekend included socks, underwear, slippers and shampoo for the teens and boardbooks for the little kids. Not piles of toys and gadgets, just the basics. And I'm raiding thrift stores for books for my friends' kids whose need for reading materials is outstripping their parents' wallets and spare shopping time.
I'm lucky. My daily needs are minimal and once in a while I can just make up my mind to get that big thing, eat at that restaurant or go to that place. The needs in my town, not to mention on the rest of the planet, are staggering. There are high school-age kids on our streets without shelter or necessary services. Parents who've lost jobs are choosing between groceries and presents for their kids. And there are typhoons. And civil wars. It gets overwhelming.
I accepted that I couldn't fix all the things and just picked out a few. All of it counts. Some kids will get socks and a really big pie and some parents will go home with gifts to wrap for Christmas morning. Hopefully some kids in some other countries will get food and warm shelter. I know I tend to focus on the negative aspects of the holidays, but I still think kids should get a chance to enjoy them while they're still kids. Hell, they should just get a chance to be kids year round. I got to.
What am I doing for the holidays? I'm doing what I can, because I can. Plus, I'll get to bake (which I love) and help organize some chaos (which I enjoy), so we all win.
Oh, and Mom, the bag donation to Project Night Night is your Christmas present. I know you'll approve.
Thanks to Zac, Tom and Jenny for the inspiration.
I accepted that I couldn't fix all the things and just picked out a few. All of it counts. Some kids will get socks and a really big pie and some parents will go home with gifts to wrap for Christmas morning. Hopefully some kids in some other countries will get food and warm shelter. I know I tend to focus on the negative aspects of the holidays, but I still think kids should get a chance to enjoy them while they're still kids. Hell, they should just get a chance to be kids year round. I got to.
What am I doing for the holidays? I'm doing what I can, because I can. Plus, I'll get to bake (which I love) and help organize some chaos (which I enjoy), so we all win.
Oh, and Mom, the bag donation to Project Night Night is your Christmas present. I know you'll approve.
Thanks to Zac, Tom and Jenny for the inspiration.




OMG ... As I was reading your post I had two overwhelming thoughts. First, that I had received the best present yet as I saw your happy childhood come to life and second, that you are such an incredible young lady. We were thinking alike this year. I've been buying and donating socks and teddy bears to local charities. It's time to give back. And you're right, I love my present. Thank you : - )
ReplyDelete