I think I liked Tuesday night's smell better. Now it's more like mud.
Maybe Wednesday's air-drying turkey vultures were a little ominous. The rain just never stopped.
Yeah, we got that first one covered. This is a five minute walk from where I live.
Things are just fine back on this side of the neighborhood. Work was closed this morning and my street had our usual temporary duck pond, again without ducks.
This is where the screechy racoons usually hang out, but I'm not sure where they are now. Overflow from the parking lot adjacent to the garden has once again given me watery pathways and I'm thinking of looking into aquaculture, but most of the remaining plants are alright. I guess we were just about done anyhow.
The other side of the western boundary of the neighborhood is another story. There are new waterfalls appearing on the eastern slopes of the foothills and they have lead to this.
There's usually no water running through here. It's a bike path that dead-ends in a lot that's being prepared for new construction. Little kids play under the overpass all the time. I didn't even know there was a waterway in the area that could head that way (Silver Lake Ditch, which stretches all the way from our favorite swollen creek).
The businesses and homes over this way have been overwhelmed with water and debris, including some from the storage units over there.
A dentist on the east of the side of the street was using random bits of stuff that had floated over from the storage units to try and divert the water away from his office door. I wished him luck. Jamestown, Four Mile Canyon and many of our other former burn areas are having a rough time. Houses are collapsing, roads are disappearing and people are stranded. Listening to the dispatchers last night was both reassuring and devastating. The National Guard vehicles streamed by for about an hour this afternoon. They're staging at the mini-golf place up the road. The sirens went off for about ten minutes tonight as they asked most of the folks at the mouth of the canyon to get the heck out. Reports of approaching walls of water in the night are scary even when you're high and dry. I wish them all luck and we'll wait to see what tomorrow brings.









No comments:
Post a Comment