![]() |
| The evening bouquet. They are longer than my arm. |
If you answered no to all of the above, count your blessings. I only planted seeds in three holes, I swear. Of course, this is chard and every seed can result in three to five seedlings. And did. My bad.
Fortunately I still have the chard enchilada recipe that we got with a CSA pickup eons ago. I can cram five or six leaves in, feel like I'm making a healthy meal and then, pulling one aside for dinner, throw the rest into the freezer to revisit on a cold, January night when there's no fresh veg in sight. Mission accomplished! I've also taken a liking to these corn tacos and substituting chard for spinach in eggs florentine. Got to use this stuff up!
Chard Enchiladas
serves 4-6, depending on hunger levels
2 tbsp cooking oil of your choice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen and thawed)
4 cups coarsely chopped chard leaves, main stalks chopped and kept separate
Cream sauce ingredient amounts vary depending on how gooey to like your filling
1 tbsp unsalted butter (or more)
1 tbsp flour (or more, just keep the butter:flour ratio equal)
1/2 - 1 cup milk
2/3 cup grated cheddar or monterey jack
6 large flour tortillas
about 1 cup enchilada sauce (I just started using this chile sauce and love it. Burns, but I still love it.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and saute garlic, onion and chard stems till onion is lightly golden. Add corn and stir frequently till cooked, about three minutes.
Start adding chard leaves in small amounts, allowing them to cook down a little before adding the next batch. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
To make the cream sauce, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat and stir in the flour till well mixed. Add milk and stir frequently till it thickens. Add the cheese and keep stirring to distribute evenly. Mix the creamy cheese sauce into the pan of greens and stir well.
Fill the tortillas and lay them into a lightly oiled or parchment-lined 9 by 13 inch pan. Pour the enchilada sauce over and bake for 25 minutes or until the tortilla edges are crisp.
Eat now or wait till the snow falls. Plan on thinning the chard patch next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment