Friday, March 22, 2013

Hidden in plain sight (Paris, part 3c)


I didn't have many planned activities in Paris, but I knew I wanted to seek out places that I hadn't seen before. That's how I ended up at the Petit Palais on a semi-sunny afternoon. As students, we were pushed towards as much art and culture as possible, but I somehow overlooked this one. The city of Paris Museum of Art: quiet, free and beautiful. They didn't seem to mind photography, but, after the Orsay experience, I didn't want to push my luck.

The art was varied and interesting. This one called to me. Can't imagine why.





The building was constructed for the Universal Exhibition of 1900 and, while its age shows in a few spots, the majority of the museum is pristine.





I'm a sucker for fine metal work and mosaics.







I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this place, just past the Tuileries and a stone's throw from the Seine, but perhaps some of our best discoveries wait for the moment when we can best appreciate them.


No comments:

Post a Comment