Monday, January 19, 2009

Winter takes a holiday


Based on reports from friends and family on the west coast, in the Great Lakes area and on the east coast, I'm pretty sure I know where winter is spending its days off. Fortunately for us, we've been given a reprieve and are making the best of the 60+ degree weather around here. On Sunday the roads were full of bikes and happy people. It felt just like one of those first nice afternoons in spring when you can leave the house with just two layers and feel confident you won't lose any extremities. Maybe it was the temperature or maybe the long weekend, but the riders out there were in the mood to smile. Sure, some stayed in their own private zones, plugged in to their pods, but mostly there were goofy grins, hearty waves and hellos from one side of the road to the other.

Even the non-cycling residents took advantage of the sunny day. Along the way I passed a herd of horses galloping through their pasture, nipping at each other, a camera-shy hawk on the lookout for lunch, and the bison out doing, well, whatever it is that bison do.

The cats have been lounging on the deck till it gets too hot (the south-facing spot was nearing 80 degrees at ten this morning) and I managed to get a couple walls painted in the bedroom. I've had to retrieve some screens from the garage to so I can get the windows open. Don't think I've ever had to do that in January. For those of you still enduring high temps in the teens, you may want to stop reading now, lest you think I'm torturing you on purpose. Tomorrow I'm wearing shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment